The way we live is changing due to the Social-distancing and self-isolation measures across the world, and fortunately we can still access online a wide variety of things to help keep us occupied during this time. While there has been plenty of free suitable Apps, many items have now become free due to this current Covid-19 situation, so that you have even more to chose from. These free items include such things as relaxation Apps to help reduce your stress, home exercise workout Apps, library and educational resources including audio books and office software, and also there is a huge range of online movies, TV programmes, news sites, and entertainment on the many online sites around the world. The following are examples of what is available online. Note that you may be able to find suitable apps closer to where you live. Please note that we have no professional association with any of these sites or software, and that the information is based on independent reports.
Mental health specialists advise that it is best be proactive and to have a plan to manage your mental health during during these times. They advise that an easy way is to download one of these type of Apps, to help give you the feeling of being in control of the situation. There are many popular anxiety Apps that have added content specifically for Coronavirus related stress, and they are free. This includes helping you to cope when you may not be able to leave home, or can’t get to go and do what you like. The various Apps providers report an increase in the download of their meditation and other Apps related to relieving anxiety. To help people cope during the current Coronavirus situation, many of them have been prompted to provide free memberships, if they are not already free. The following is a list of a some of the many that are available. If what you have chosen does not suit you, then try another so that you do get what suits you.
- The Tapping Solution is a self soothing technique developed from time proven methods and modern psychology. http://www.thetappingsolution.com
- Simple Habit is is a five minute meditation app that has always been free. http://www.simplehabit.com
- Headspace is a mixture of meditation and exercises called “weathering the storm” which is available for free. http://www.headspace.com/covid-19
- Breethe is a meditation app comprising a range of items to help you feel calmer and happier overall. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/breethe-meditationsleep/id920161006
- Insight Timer (https://insighttimer.com/) has more than 30,000 free meditations for everyone, including children. Their extensive library currently has lots of coronavirusrelated content that’s available to the public.
- Colorfly (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/colorfly-coloringbook/id1020187921) is a free app that allows you to release your anxiety through the soothing act of colouring through images provided.
- Also search online for your local Yoga or related sites, as you may be able to continue with them after the Covid19 situation is gone.
Home exercise workout apps are designed to help keep strong and flexible when you can’t get to a gym, which is especially important when trying to remain healthy. The following apps, offering free and/or paid-for options, have been rated to give you clear instructions in video and/or audio, plus encouragement as you progress through the range of different workout ideas. Note that any exercise you can do, is better than none, as exercise stimulates the body’s resistance to viruses.
- Fitbit coach
- Asana Rebel
- Adidas Training and Running by Runtastic
- Nike Training Club
Free education resources includes Audible Stories from Amazon, JSTOR is an academic resource library, Cambridge University Press has a range of academic textbooks available, plus local Libraries and similar facilities. Remember that some sites may experience congestion during this Covid19 situation.
Communicating with friends and family, either by phone or online, is also recommended to help keep you in a positive attitude and maintain a feeling of being part of our world.
Another thing that you can do as the overall Covid19 situation progresses, is to plan for and look forward to what you will be able to do when it is all over.
Stay safe, and enjoy the available activities that bring you happiness.
See more Posts and items in the various sections shown in the menu at top of page, or sub-menu at bottom right of page.